We respect personal data privacy and are committed to fully implementing and complying with the data protection principles and all relevant provisions of the Personal Data (Privacy) Ordinance, Chapter 486, Laws of Hong Kong (Opens a new window) and codes of practice issued by the Privacy Commissioner for Personal Data by:
- collecting personal data directly related to the functions and activities of the Customs and Excise Department, only for lawful purposes, and by lawful and fair means;
- taking all reasonably practicable steps to ensure that personal data are accurate, up-to-date and kept no longer than necessary;
- using the personal data collected only for purposes or directly related purposes for which the data were to be used at the time of the collection, unless the individual concerned has given his / her consent to a change of use or such use is permitted by law;
- taking all reasonably practicable steps to ensure that personal data are protected against unauthorized or accidental access, processing, erasure or other use;
- taking all reasonably practicable steps to ensure that a person can be informed of the kinds of personal data that the Department holds and the purposes for which the data are to be used; and
- permitting the persons to access and correct personal data of which they are the data subjects and process the data access / correction requests in a manner permitted or required by law.
Protecting Personal Data Privacy
The protection of privacy in relation to personal data is the concern of every staff member of the Department. When you visit our website, we record your visit only as a 'hit' and do not collect any personal identifiable information about you. The 'hit' information is to allow us to compile general statistics to show the number of visitors to our website.