To expedite the clearance of arriving passengers, the Department implements the "Red & Green Channel System" at all entry points. Incoming passengers are advised to choose the appropriate channels for Customs clearance with the following signs being posted:
Red Channel (Goods to Declare Channel)
Passengers should proceed to this channel upon their arrival and make a declaration to the Customs officers if they carry:
Passengers are liable to:
- prosecution and confiscation of the prohibited / controlled items if they are unable to produce a valid licence or permit;
- duty payment on / confiscation of the dutiable commodities not entitled to or in excess of the exempted quantities; and / or
- prosecution and confiscation of the CBNIs if the declaration made contains information that is false in a material particular.
Green Channel (Nothing to Declare Channel)
Passengers should enter this channel upon their arrival if they:
Passengers entering the Green Channel are liable to:
- prosecution / penalty if they are found having undeclared / incompletely declared dutiable commodities;
- prosecution and confiscation of the prohibited / controlled items if they are found having any of them without a valid licence / permit; and / or
- prosecution and confiscation of the CBNIs if they are found in possession of a large quantity of CBNIs without making a declaration.
They are not exempted from any Customs examination when using the Green Channel.