Skip to main content

Under the Hazardous Chemicals Control Ordinance, Chapter 595, Laws of Hong Kong (Opens a new window) , the import of non-pesticide hazardous chemicals as set out in Schedules 1 (Opens a new window) and 2 (Opens a new window) to this Ordinance is subject to permit control. Any person importing scheduled chemicals, including transiting (for Type 1 chemicals under Schedule 1) and transhipping (for Types 1 and 2 chemicals under Schedules 1 and 2), must first obtain a valid activity-based import permit issued by the Environmental Protection Department (Opens a new window) .

Under the Import and Export Ordinance, Chapter 60, Laws of Hong Kong (Opens a new window) , a consignment-based import licence must also be obtained in advance from the Environmental Protection Department (Opens a new window) for every consignment of scheduled chemicals to be imported into Hong Kong, including those on valid through bills of lading. Exemption would be given to transit cargo (for Type 1 chemicals only) and air transhipment cargo (for Types 1 and 2 chemicals) but certain conditions must be met.

Enquiries (Opens a new window) relating to activity-based permit or consignment-based licence can be made to the Territorial Control Office (Hazardous Chemicals Control) of the Environment Protection Department at 28/F Southorn Centre, 130 Hennessy Road, Wan Chai, Hong Kong.

Hazardous Chemicals